Friday, December 19, 2008

Of flicks and paperbacks

I was plurking awhile ago and I noticed a recent plurk from Paulo Coelho linking you to the trailer of Veronika Decides to Die. I was a bit surprised because as I immediately recalled, if any of you have read The Zahir, I thought he was stating his opinion there about the idea of his books becoming movies. Anyway, the main character in that book was a writer and he was narrating the story, so I was sort of thinking that Coelho was portraying himself as the character. In one part (if i remembered anything from this book it was this part) the narrator was being interviewed and was asked (this is not the exact words): "what do you think is the main theme behind your newest book?" and he answered, "If I had wanted a single idea across then I would have only given you two lines." The interviewer continued: "will your new book have its film adaptation?" he answered something like, "No, I think each reader has its own interpretation of the book, their own vision and everyone will just end up disappointed by the movie. I wouldn't spoil that for them". That's what I remember. Of course it's not accurate. Gawd, if I only have a copy then I wouldn't be so lame trying to tell you about it now.

Going back, of course I checked the link out, Veronika Decides to Die is my favorite from Coelho so far. And let me re-track a bit, don't get me wrong, I was glad that if that was really Coelho's thought the first time, something made him think otherwise. I agree with him both ways anyway. Sarah Michelle Gellar is playing Veronika, and i think that's just perfect. I wonder if she'll go naked in front of the piano. Let's find out.

Another thing I have to tell you about is that coming May 2009 is X-Men Origins:Wolverine! I can't believe it! I really thought they stopped making them. I'm just an ultimate X-Men fan. And if any of you have been Superman or Batman or Power Ranger Red(loser), when you were kids, I most certainly have been Wolverine! I'm totally psyched. and Gambit's there!

And not only is Harry Potter coming next year so is the Hobbit! Newsflash: Harry Potter is not overrated. It's only the Greatest Fantasy Epic of all time, unparalleled except for Lord of the Rings, which is like the god of all fantasy books. All hail JK Rowling and JRR Tolkien! According to my book, Lord of the Rings is one of the last book based movies that really counted and was really justified. Hardcore. I'm hoping The Hobbit is from the same makers as the LOTR Trilogy. But whatever, I'm still gonna check it out.

Oh, and Lovely Bones.which I haven't gotten around to reading.haha

To end, I would just like to say that flick or paperback, doesn't matter. It's a work of art and should be respected as such in their own right. Another thing, if someone comes by saying "ay pangit man daw ang movie, mas maganda daw ang book" tell me first, have you read the book? If not, then you better shut it. Have you seen the movie? If not, then shut it all the more tightly. You'll only embarrass yourself. Ciao!




No comments: